Adopt routines that help you have a deep and restful sleep.
- Do not use electronics around bedtime to avoid exposure to intense blue light.
- Go to bed at the same time every night. A regular sleep schedule can work wonders for your energy levels!
- You need deep sleep to create serotonin and GABA which help curb cravings.
- 7-9 hours of sleep per day!
The Public Health Agency of Canada recommends individuals ages 18-64 should get 7-9 Hours of sleep/night, while those ages 65+ should get about 7-8 Hours of sleep/night.
According to their research:
- 1 in 2 adults have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep.
- 1 in 5 adults do not find their sleep refreshing.
- 1 in 3 adults have difficulty staying awake during waking hours.
Good sleep hygiene could lead to better sleEP
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine before bed
- Maintain a regular bedtime/waketime
- Practice relaxation and mindfulness-based stress reduction techniques
- Reduce noise in the sleeping environment
- Exercise regularly
- Review medications with your physician/pharmacist regularly
Notes from our Nutritionist
Dandelion Foods’ own nutritionist, Morgan, has accepted the 8-week Summer Challenge and is providing updates on how she’s finding it. Here’s her notes from Week 2. And if you missed Week 1, you can find them here. You can also follow her on this page or on Instagram or Facebook.
One of my bad habits is climbing into bed at the end of the day and surfing on my iPhone and catching up on my text messages. So I set out this week to log off my cell phone at 9p.m. and I left it to recharge in the kitchen instead of the bedroom, removing the temptation to check.