From Cha’s Organics recipes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can young jackfruit
- 1 cube low sodium vegetable or mushroom stock
- ½ to ¾ cup organic barbecue sauce (get your favorite)
- ¼ cup hot water
- Rinse and drain the young jackfruit.
- Heat up a skillet and sauté the jackfruit pieces in oil for about 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Lower the heat. Dissolve stock cube in hot water, add to the jackfruit, cover and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour bbq sauce over jackfruit mixture and simmer 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. You may need to add a little water at this point to get the proper consistency.
- Gently crush the jackfruit pieces with a potato masher and simmer without covering 5 more minutes or until excess water evaporates. Enjoy!
Note: for a “meatier” texture, put the mixture on a cookie sheet and bake in medium-heat oven for about 10 minutes, right after crushing the jackfruit in step 4. Serve in tacos or on burger bread with your favorite fillings: coleslaw, avocado, lettuce, etc.